This dish pairs apples and applesauce with savory cheeses for a deliciously complex appetizer. Used here with permission from U.S. Apple Association and Mark Rosenstein.
Write a review
- 2 7x7" pieces of plain focaccia bread, split in half and toasted
- 1/2 cup natural-style applesauce
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground savory
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 2 ounces white cheddar, grated
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 ounce blue cheese (Stilton, Roquefort), crumbled
- 1 apple, cored, cut into thin slices
- Combine applesauce, lemon juice, savory, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat until all lemon juice is evaporated and the mixture is slightly dried out.
- Divide applesauce equally among the four focaccia crusts, and spread thinly. Top with cheeses, then apple slices.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for approximately 7 minutes, until cheese is melted and golden. Serve immediately.
- Per serving: calories, 240; fat, 10g; cholesterol, 26mg; sodium, 438mg; carbohydrates, 29g; dietary fiber, 2g; protein, 9g.
Pepin Heights Orchards, Inc https://pepinheights.com/