Pepin Heights Apple Cake
This is our version of an upside-down apple cake. The brown sugar-cinnamon mixture spread across the bottom of the pan caramelizes a bit, making for a delightful topping when the cake is turned out of its pan. If you are using a dark baking pan, reduce your oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
Write a review
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 heaping cups peeled, sliced Pepin Heights Haralson apples
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Pepin Heights Apple Cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Peel, core and slice apples.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in 8-inch square baking pan. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Press sugar mixture into butter to moisten sugar. Sprinkle dried cranberries over sugar, then place apple slices on top. Set baking pan aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In separate bowl beat together egg yolks and sugar. Beat in the apple cider. Add flour and baking powder, mixing until combined. Fold in egg whites. Pour mixture over brown sugar and apple slices.
- Place baking pan on center rack in the preheated oven; bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Run spatula around side of pan to release the cake; immediately invert the cake onto serving platter. Leave pan on cake 5 minutes to set top. Remove pan.
- Use raisins instead of dried cranberries.
- Double this recipe for 9 x 13-inch pan; increase the flour to 1-1/2 cups.
- Serve with cinnamon or vanilla ice cream (though this cake is great alone!)
- Calories 369; calories from fat 30%; fat 12.1 g; saturated fat 7.0 g; trans fat 0.4 g; protein 3.5 g; carbohydrates 64.6 g; total sugars 52.5 g; fiber 1.5 g; cholesterol 89.1 mg; iron 1.0 mg; sodium 164.7 mg; calcium 54.8 mg
Pepin Heights Orchards, Inc https://pepinheights.com/