Raw Apple Cake
Serve this cake with your mid-morning coffee or tea, or for dessert when company comes to dine. To sour the milk, stir in the vinegar, then let the mixture sit for five minutes before adding it to other ingredients. We bake this cake in a round pan, we think the slices are more elegant looking than the plain square.
Write a review
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons vinegar)
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups chopped Pepin Heights baking apples
- I recipe Raw Apple Cake topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour the cake pan; set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, and shortening; add eggs and sour milk. In a separate, medium-sized bowl, mix flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix two bowls together. Stir in apples. Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine topping ingredients, and sprinkle topping over the batter. Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto rack and cool completely.
- Calories 395; calories from fat 23%; fat 10.3 g; saturated fat 3.2 g; trans fat 0 g; protein 4.5 g; carbohydrates 73.5 g ; total sugars 52.4 g; fiber 1.6 g; cholesterol 33.0 mg; iron 1.4 mg; sodium 328.3 mg; calcium 39.6 mg
Pepin Heights Orchards, Inc https://pepinheights.com/