Tangy SweeTango Apple Slaw Corned Beef Reuben
Blogger NutmegNanny comes by her apple credentials honestly – she grew up in Ohio, and lives in New York’s Hudson Valley. She says there’s “nothing like a fresh-from-the-farm-fall-time apple”, and she thinks SweeTango apples are “the perfect ‘from the hand’ type of apple.” About this recipe, she says: “This tangy apple slaw corned beef Reuben is the perfect fall sandwich. Perfectly toasted marble rye topped with an apple cabbage slaw, corned beef, melted swiss cheese and lots of homemade Russian dressing.” NutmegNanny developed this recipe for the SweeTango growers’ cooperative in 2015. Pepin Heights is founding member of the cooperative.
Write a review
For Russian dressing
- 1C mayonnaise
- 1/4C ketchup
- 1T grated horseradish, drained
- 2t finely minced onion
- hot sauce, couple dashes (optional)
- 1/2C thinly matchstick sliced SweeTango apples
- 1/2C shredded cabbage cole slaw mix
- 2T extra virgin olive oil
- 2T apple cider vinegar
- 2t whole grain mustard
- 2t Dijon mustard
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- 2T unsalted butter
- 4T homemade Russian dressing
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- ½ pound deli sliced corn beef
- For the Russian dressing: Add ingredients together and stir until combined. This makes enough dressing for about 4 sandwiches.
- For slaw: Mix all ingredients together and set aside until you prepare the sandwich.
- For sandwich: Preheat your Panini press to medium heat.
- Spread ½ tablespoon butter onto 1 side of each slice of bread. On the other side of each slice, spread 1 tablespoon Russian dressing.
- Top the Russian dressing with 1 slice of Swiss cheese. On 2 slices of the bread, top with half the corned beef and half of the apple cabbage slaw. Top each with remaining slice of bread, cheese side down.
- Add sandwich to the Panini press and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is warm and golden brown.
Pepin Heights Orchards, Inc https://pepinheights.com/